Friday, June 13, 2008

Lunch at the Library

I finally ventured into the Harold Washington Library yesterday over lunch. It is large. LARGE! I got lost a couple of times but finally found my way to the 7th floor and they had both the Tom Perrotta novels I've been looking for. It ruled.

Being in there made me so homesick for my mom though. She is the queen of the library. Any library. She took me every Saturday when I was little. We knew all the librarians and would spend HOURS there. I have a vivid memory of listening to a tape of short ghost stories at a table in the children's section during thunderstorms. It was my favorite thing to do. That and there was one stone structure in a stairwell that I used to either sit on or lean against. I can't remember which, but it was always cool and I loved it.

A fireman looked up my mom's skirt at a library when she was younger so the first thing she always tells me when I go to a new one is "Look out for perverts." Then she tells me the fireman story again. It kills me every time. I always wonder how she knew he was a fireman but I always forget to ask.

No comments: