Monday, March 12, 2007

Well, we were just another band out of Boston....

Brad Delp, the lead singer of Boston died this weekend. One of my favorite bloggers, Crabbydad, wrote a great entry about this today http://crabbydad.blogspot.com/2007/03/guess-he-looked-back.html. The entry coupled with the video and song at the end actually made me teary eyed.

My oldest sister is ten years older than me so I grew up listening to Boston, Journey, Forigner, Eddie Money, etc. when all the other kids were listening to Disney albums because they were 5 years old. My sisters wouldn't have that though. I got to spend most of my summer days with them since we were all off school listening to their music and I loved every minute of it. (another great song). I suppose to them it was babysitting, in fact I'm sure it was, but to me it was the coolest thing ever. We would "lay out" on sunny days and Jacy would set up the reflector matt and we'd use baby oil on our skin and lemon juice in our hair. Healthy. I would lay there and listen to them sing along with the radio and mimic their every move. They added more lemon juice then I added more lemon juice. They turned over, I turned over. They said a song "totally made them feel sad" and I would cry too.

Even better than lay out days were rainy/thunderstorm days. That was when we would wash our hair in the spilloff from the gutter. It sounds weird and gross but it was the best. We would put on our swimming suits and take turns washing and conditioning with Agree shampoo. Wow. Agree....that takes me back too. Anyway, then we would dry off and come inside and watch t.v. for the rest of day or every now and then they would dress me up and put tons of make up on me just for fun. I loved those days. They feel so faint now most of the time since I'm 32 today and I was 5 then. But the one thing that brings them back the hardest and fastest is music. Boston is one of those bands.

I suppose now is the time that these old rockers are going to start dropping off the sphere more and more now that I'm older, but it won't feel less sad I don't think. It's not like I knew the guy.....it's just that his songs and voice were a wonderful resonant part of my childhood and first introductions to music and how much I loved it.

So I'm going to copy Crabbydad now and post a video that takes me back to those times. It's a little closer to my teen years but still one of my favorites. For years my "play name" was Amanda just so I could pretend this song was about me. And yes I did that with Beth by Kiss as well.

No comments: