Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Sometimes there just isn't a brighter side.

My best friend's dear friend is close to departure. He has been fighting brain cancer like some kind of superhero for a couple years now. Today he began his exit process. I met him about 5 times. Once right before we were both diagnosed at my friend Fred's house. We talked a ton and I instantly knew he was one of those people. You know the ones. The ones that should be here much longer than his early 30's. The ones that are good dads and husbands. The ones that make it better here.

After we both found out about our cancer....mine a much less scary diagnosis than his....we would bump into each other at benefits or concerts and compare notes on our treatments.

The last time I saw him it was harder for him to talk and I could see it frustrating him. We just kind of held/shook hands and I tried to make it clear to him that nothing needed saying. I was just glad to see him.

He is with his family now and surrounded by love. But that just isn't enough for me. I see Anne and Matt grieving and struggling to make sense of losing a friend. I see his wife try and remain tough and strong and hopeful during what would really be my worst nightmare. There is good to be drawn...of course. Human spirit, better to love than not, life is short. today all that feels like rubbish. He shouldn't be going. It's not fair to him or his little girl or his family or my friends that love him so much.

I hope there is some peace but dang it, man. Just dang it.

This is not mine to mourn, I realize. I am just so sorry for those close to him and I love those people that are close to them so it all hurts.

Cancer is a no good dirty playing thief.

hug each other.

Love,
C

PS - then I get this from my amazing dad.

"We were not. Were. Will not be. Will be. A mystery to be here, to leave, and a real mystery about the next rendition. We actually know nothing of the next dimension whether dust or daisy or new person. What we do know is all was well with us before we were this and will be OK when we are not this.

No comments: