Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I'm BAAAAAAAAAd at cards.

So I learned how to play Sheep's Head last night. It's like Euchre only harder. At least for me. I played it in high school with my boyfriend's parents but anything involving numbers pretty much exits my brain faster than (insert topical joke about someone leaving someplace super fast...yeah I know. I'm lazy today. I'm also cranky so don't mess with the bull or you might get the horns and what not.)

Anyway, Jason was a great teacher and the guys we played with were all super nice and patient with me but the same thing happens that always happens when I play a game like this. I got all sensitive and embarrassed for messing up and ended up yelling at Jason (sort of in a funny way...sort of in a "Why is your wife being so come on?" way). He knows me well enough that he was able to laugh it off thankfully.

However! I really did have fun and want to be good at this stupid game. So I'm going back next week. I'll try to stay calm this time, but man...I'm telling you....there is some weird part of me that gets so worried about being bad at something new that I totally FLIP out and become the opposite of how I want to be. I think it goes back to childhood (doesn't it all?). I would BEG my sisters and/or mom and dad to play a game with me...ANY game but my family isn't really big into games so the rare times they said yes I put all this pressure on myself to be good and for it to be fun for everyone. Inevitably I would do the opposite just by being so keyed up and over invested and after one round everyone would all of a sudden have something pressing to do.

Wow. Speaking of things I'm not good at. You should have just seen the results of my spell check on this post. Yipes.

No comments: