Friday, May 28, 2010

Things I Want To Make Sure I Don't Forget Part 1



One winter day I listed to this song after a rough few days. I heard it and felt like I might, truly, collapse into a black hole. Soooo dramatic but it's true. It happens. We've all been there and will be there again. Those songs that just capture you and seem to pop out of thin air with your exact emotions and memories. My sister Kendra would always say "This song makes me feel weird" in a certain Kendra voice that meant it made her feel a little sad or a little understood or a little too grown up too fast....take your pick.

I'm quite sure this song isn't about me and Jas. In fact I feel a little embarrassed to take it as ours since it's probably about war and the horrible state of the world. But as a good friend once said about a giant bag of Carmel corn..."I'm just gonna have some....k?".

We have word out to Jeff Tweedy that my cancer recovery wish is for him to play one round of washers with my husband at a BBQ. If that happens we might just ask him to write a song that's REALLY about us. I'm sure he wouldn't mind. He's not busy or cool or anything. (My thought bubble just drew a heart around JT's face and I sighed...for real.)

Back to the song.....the melodies...the chord progressions.....the words.....this year just balled up in a song. Every time I hear it I cry and cry and love Jason beyond any word in any language. Or maybe it's more that it makes me love us. I've always loved him but the duo we've become this year.....man...I don't even know how to finish that sentence.

Anyway, music. Is there anything it can't do? Okay it can't cure cancer but I bet it's working on it.

Lyrics below:
Wake up we're here
It's so much worse than we feared
There's nothing left here
The country has disappeared
If the winter trees bleeding, leave red blood
The summer sweet dreaming, april blush
But none of that is ever gonna mean as much to me again.

Hold out your hand,
there's so much you don't understand
So stick as close as you can,
all of the best laid plans
You've got the white clouds hanging so high above you
You've got the helicopters dangling angling to shoot,
the shots to feed the hungry weekend news crew anchorman.

So every evening we can watch from above,
crushed cities like a bug
Fold ourselves into each others guts,
and turn our faces up to the sun.

I won't take no
I won't let you go
All by yourself
Oh no you need my help
When the cold night shakes you like a chandelier
The snowflakes break through the atmosphere,
and melt on the blue breath of the auctioneers and disappear.

Every evening we can watch from above,
crushed cities like a bug
Fold ourselves into each others blood,
and turn our faces up to the sun.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Oh wow. That is intense.

You and Jason are so blessed to have each other.
xo

stephseef said...

one of the things i don't want to forget is how your cancer journey knit our hearts together again. worth it? i mean, no, but yes, you know? then again, i have the easy part of that equation. you're easy to love.

stephie

Crescent said...

Aw Steph that is a huge part for me too. I use it as an example of the good that came from all this every time I talk to someone new. I love you dearly.